ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
virtser
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
What Makes a Good Camera
Nov 26, 2012

Hello All,

Following a great article by Ken Rockwell - What Makes a Great Camera?

I don't really care of huge number of mega pixels, size of sensor or IQ differences between the modern cameras. (this forum is full of such topics)

I mostly care about good usability and handling of a camera. I should be able to control it easily, intuitively. The camera should be predictable in its operation.

I'm a Canon DSLR guy, shooting with it over 5 years now. I can tell, from my experience, that Canon DSLR cameras fit the description above for me (I understand that its individual).

After a couple of years that I hardly used my DSLR camera ( and few kids born ), I understood that I don't take it with me because of relatively big size. Luckily for me, the market was responsive with all the small DSLR like cameras in the last couple of years.

I bought then Fuji X10, because of the size and because of the viewfinder. After DSLR I found it frustrating using a camera wich shutter lag and AF speed is noticeable and its viewfinder is not accurate. Although this camera provide PSAM mods, I could hardly control the output result. Although this camera has great Auto mode, its always work even in PASM mods.

I'm looking now for Fuji X10 replacement, but I want a camera that can be controlled. You can assume that I understand how Shutter, Aperture and ISO combine together.

I would like to get an advice for such camera.
My main requirements are (sorted by priority):

1. Great control
  2. Fast and responsive
  3. Small size
  4. Viewfinder (Can a DSLR guy live without viewfinder?)

I'm looking now on Nikon 1 V1/J1/J2 and Olympus E-PL5/E-PM2 and I'm not sure if they have great control...

Thank you,
David.

virtser's gear list:virtser's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 500D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow