Metering question

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,241
Like?
Re: Metering question
In reply to merwind, Nov 26, 2012

I am a big fan of incident meters. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that a good digital incident flash meter is an excellent tool for learning the ins and outs of metering and exposure. When I purchased my first flash meter in 1989 it helped me improve my metering/exposure skills immensely. (BTW, I still use that tiny Sekonic L-328; a good quality meter can be a long term investment!)

Some meters have memory functions and are capable of showing lighting ratios as well as flash/ambient exposure simultaneously. Stick with meters that are accurate to within 1/10 of a stop. (Yes, 1/10 of a stop does matter even in the Digital Age.)

I prefer thinking of lighting in stops instead of ratios; it's quicker and more intuitive. With a little experience it becomes second-nature. Using an incident flash meter can be faster, more accurate and less expensive than relying on multiple TTL flashes.

Sekinic and Gossen offer excellent small meters that cost between $250-$350 (those prices are from memory so don't quote me!) If you want to use an incident meter to measure distant subjects some models offer add-on spot meter attachments at a reasonable cost. Incident/spot meter combos are large and expensive. Meters with the smaller diffusion domes are slightly less finicky about how you hold the meter toward the light source.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow