Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Logidelic
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Nikon D70 SLR -> X-E1: My experience so far
Nov 26, 2012

Just thought I'd post my initial imressions after a week with the X-E1. I'm coming from an oldish (8 years) Nikon SLR, the D70 this is purely comparison. Here are the main points:

• Love the size/feel of the X-E1
  • Awesome color/image quality
  • EVF better than I expected. I even enjoy manual focusing
However:
  •  Auto focus is much worse than what I was expecting! (Using kit zoom)  In low light, and even often in good lighting, the camera hunts and can't focus. I appreciate that the SLR does phase-detection auto focus, but I had no idea the difference was so great - especially since my SLR is almost 10 years old. This is really too bad, and is the biggest downside to this camera so far.
  • Battery life is bad. There's really no excuse for this. A higher capacity battery should have been used. Totally stupid.
  • I know they improved the design over previous X-cams with regard to controls, but I still find myself accidentally pressing buttons and turning the exposure compensation dial. The buttons and dials should be stiffer to avoid accidental hits.

Overall I'm really enjoying this camera, but it's a shame about these negatives. I'm sure I'll find more pro/cons as I continue, but these stood out immediately. Guess this isn't the last camera I'll ever own...

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow