ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ssscomp
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
So, this is it. Your opportunity to call me an idiot
Nov 26, 2012

So, 1st some history.

I've been involved with photography for a number of decades and I've been involved in digital photography for at least 10 years. I started off with Nikon equipment, cameras, lenses, and worked my way to a Canon system. I had a 5D Mark 2 and decided that I just didn't need a camera that large or, for my purposes, need full frame. So I got rid of that and got a 7D and came to the conclusion that camera took great pictures with my fancy L lenses but was just too large and cumbersome. So I got rid of 7D and got a 60 D which I think is an ideal camera. Still used it with all my very fancy heavy lenses and took pictures that absolutely met my requirements but drove everybody nuts while I continuously switched lenses.

So I moved on to the 4/3 cameras. I had a number of them but the 2 best are probably the GH 1 and GH 2. I used them with to zoom lenses and was very satisfied with the exception that the cameras could actually do too much. I'm a pretty nerdy guy and if there's a button well, dammit I want to push it. If I can change something,damnitI want to change it. So I decided I wanted to keep moving forward on my journey to a cardboard pin hole camera. Along came the NEX–7 which I purchased with the e-mount Tamron 18–200 mm lens. What a great combination. APSC, very nice lens, my only problem being that it didn't focus that quickly and that at the long end it was I believe, either 5.6 or 6.3. Nonetheless I've had it for a number of months and truly enjoyed taking photos. But then one of the secretaries in the office asked for a suggestion for a camera. I love giving information on geeky things and jumped back into the forums, websites, etc. In my search. I came across the camera which I found unbelievably compelling. It is the Panasonic FZ–200. It is a bridge camera with a lens that is not removable but has the equivalent 35mm range of 27 to 600 mm. Many cameras can do that, indeed some go beyond that. The most interesting part of this is the fact that it is a constant F2 .8. Now I understand that it is a 1/2.3 sensor, with about 12 megapixels and that under lowlight conditions and high ISO I will be facing noise difficulties. But with a constant F2 .8 I imagine I can run at a lower ISO. In any event I have been looking online at photos taken by this camera and I must say they absolutely meet my requirements. My photos stay either on the computer, or will get printed to a maximum size of 8" x 10". The smallest amount of noise simply doesn't bother me. My thinking is that a camera such as this, set at ISO 400 with an F-2 .8 constant lens will allow me to take photos at very high shutter speeds and obtain nice sharp images. I'm one of those guys who does like sharp images. The photos I have seen online when enlarged, when carefully taken look great.

So, I'm getting old (65) I recognize that almost no one but me wants to see my photos. I am considering getting rid of the NEX–7, all my Canon equipment and lenses, myStabilized Tamron zoom lens, my flash units, everything and just going to the FZ–200. While there are different strokes for different folks, does this sound as crazy to you as on occasion it does to me?

Thanks for your thoughts. And if I o it, is anyone interested in a beautiful, perfect NEX-7 with the Tamron Zoom?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow