HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
shutterthug
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?
In reply to msbeezy, Nov 26, 2012

Thank you for sharing, msbeezy.  I agree, there is nothing quite like the 85L wide open, but that's not the DOF I'm after with my headshot work.  Shooting full-frame 85mm, f/3.5 at 6' gets me a DOF of about 2"—eyes razor sharp, ears a little soft.

Calculator says I'll need to back off about a foot or so at 100mm to maintain my preferred DOF, or tighten up a bit and nail the crop in camera and maybe close to f/4.0.  Either way works!

NOTE: Just because a lens is capable of shooting at f/1.2 doesn't mean it's the best f-stop for a given photo.  It does, however, mean you might be overinvested in a lens if you're not using the feature that makes it so exclusive.  I've just been waiting for an L prime in about the same focal length with fast AF—looks like the 100L may be the ticket.

—m

msbeezy wrote:

I have all three of these..85, 100, 135...as well as a few more..50 1.2, 35, 24....

Anyways since the question was about the two that's what I'dd add my .02 to

Firstly yes the 100 is a stellar lens for head shots..providing you're provided adequate distance.

Secondly the 85 is a stellar lens for head shots too !! It presents a completely different presentation tho I'd say,,,dreamier,,sexier,,with the creamier softer background.

I'd say it comes down to the final look look you're after...like if it's a business profile...grab the 100..if it's a studio portrait of wife for hubby thing...the 85 is your friend..

My girls..

100L IS @ 3.2

85L Vll @ 1.2

And this is what can happen if you don't watch your f with the 85 and go for the gold with 1.2...too thin to get both eyes

-- hide signature --

—m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow