Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Questions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,862
Like?
Re: Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase
In reply to Louicia, Nov 26, 2012

Louicia wrote:

billythek wrote:

Hmmm, you are a student, or rather, about to become a student. And you hope to make a living in photography after you graduate. But at present, you do not own a DSLR? Red warning lights are starting to flash.

I have no idea about your financial situation, and you didn't volunteer it. If you can afford a 5D3, it is a good camera. A similar statement can be made about the 1Dx, or 7D, or even the current Rebel model, whatever that is. But, you get what you pay for (approximately), and you can be sure that there will be better camera bodies in a few years. My advice is, buy what you can comfortably afford now, and don't assume it will be the one camera you will be using for years to come. Most pros have more than one camera body. You can use this camera as your backup, or even sell it on craigslist if you decide you need something else, when the time comes.

Lenses hold their value longer than bodies, and you get more improvement in image quality by buying good glass than by buying a better body. And, as someone else mentioned, don't waste money on buying a cheap tripod.

Good luck with your quest, and hope things work out. It is a tough field to make a living in these days.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your message, after 20 years in the armed forces I've decided on a quieter life on the land. I'm working full time in a different field now and have always been interested in photography. Some of the best pics I've taken are on my old pentax film camera.

I currently own a Nikon D90 but I'm more of a canon fan after starting my underwater photography using the G12. Hence why i've been asking about the canon camera's as not many of our local photographers are willing to discuss what they own or use.

So at this stage photography will hopefully turn into a paid hobby, I understand it's very difficult to make a living out of it these days!

If it were me, I'd stick with the D90 through the course, and then buy something new afterwards.  You will have enough to learn without throwing a new camera into the mix.

On the other hand, if you want to use this as a reason to get new equipment (wink, nod), then the 5D3 is a good camera, as long as you can get a decent deal on it.  You might be able to get a good deal on a bundle with a 24-105, but not sure how well that will fit your pro ambitions.  It's a bit of a compromise lens.  I had a love/hate relationship with it before we parted ways.  If you have the cash, the 24-70 f/2.8 II, and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II are both great professional quality zoom lenses.  Many pros stick with primes, though, like the 50L, 85L, 135L, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen pro wedding and event photogs use crop cameras like the 7D or XXD, and still turn out good (if not spectacular) results.  A lot more depends on how you use the camera rather than what camera you use.

I'm not a pro, myself. This is just from observing and talking to guys who do make a living doing this stuff.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow