Lens and resolution on D3200 - limits???

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr Robert d Snaps
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Lens and resolution on D3200 - limits???
Nov 26, 2012

I am not as smart as I pretend to be.  Not even close.

What does this mean?

"There is a downside to cramming so many pixels onto an APS-C / DX sensor, as Ken Rockwell explains: ‘… the D3200 has higher linear resolution than any other DSLR ever made in any format: 255 pixels per millimeter. (The 36 MP D800 only has 200 pixels per millimeter in its larger FX format.) Since the diffraction limit at 255 lpmm is f/6.3, any shots made at f/6.3 or smaller will have their resolution completely limited by lens diffraction, not the camera.’ You have been warned."

I think it means that if I shoot at f/8.0 the MP of the image will be less than the 25 max of the D3200?

Also I found this about lens and high meg cameras

"Images taken with the 18-200mm were sharp and contrasty on 6mp cameras, a little less so on 12mp cameras. Much less so on 24mp cameras. In some situations, the VR also helped keep acuity high. I was a little worried that a superzoom design would show some inability to keep up with 10 and 12mp cameras, but that's simply not the case--the lens performs okay, if not perfectly, on these cameras. Indeed, of all the so-called superzooms I've used and tested, this was the first one that I kept, at least until the 16mp DX DSLRs came along. I believe that the 18-105mm and 16-85mm both do better in the focal length ranges where they overlap the 18-200mm, so you don't buy the 18-200mm because it's thebestof the consumer zooms, but because it is good enough while extending the focal range. Also, the 18-105mm and 16-85mm are clearly better on high megapixel count cameras (16mp+)."

Can someone provide a general statement about lens and high meg cameras?

Thanks for any help.

Nikon D3200 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow