Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garyb1985
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
AF-Assist options for pro bodies
Nov 26, 2012

OK here's something I'm having trouble with.

I do most of my work in nightclubs - and not your big flashy shiny nightclubs, I'm talking nice & dark, with little to no light available.I try not to use on camera flash & luckily my Nikon D3s can handle most situations.

The main problem is that the Camera can't focus in light it can shoot in, which can be frustrating (dont get me started on why a near £4000 camera doesnt come with any af-assist functions). If you use an off-camera cord, your flash AF-assist beam becomes virtually defunct.

I bought a Nikon SC-29 cord which handily has an AF assist beam which stays on top of the camera but has the incredibly annoying feature of having to be attached to a flash unit which is switched on. If I'm using the flash that's cool, but when I want to use available light I'm stuck.

Does anybody know of a way of setting a flash (SB-700 or SB-80dx) so it doesnt fire but will use the AF assist on the SC-29?

Secondly I'm not averse to remote triggers either - I've seen a couple with AF assist beams but am yet to see any of these with decent reviews. The SU-800 would be ace but it's incredibly overpriced. If anyone has favourable experience with these types of trigger I'd like to hear (AF-beam needs to work at close distances ie, 1m).

Any other AF-Assist tips would be great!

Thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

Light is Light, its what you do with it that counts http://www.gbmultimedia.co.uk

Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow