Another I just got my X-E1 Kit, thread...Impressed, with mixed emotions though!

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EyeOTBeholder
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Another I just got my X-E1 Kit, thread...Impressed, with mixed emotions though!
Nov 26, 2012

I had ordered may black kit here in Vienna,Austria 6 weeks ago. It was clever because the local dealer said, they got 20 kits which are sold out on the first day. First black then silver ones...

First quick impressions.

- very good build quality and beautiful design. the first words of my wife: it looks like a Leica;-)

- Overall image quality is superb but there's still room upwards because of my lacking understanding yet of this camera. I have been shotting in the past years still with a Nikon D70 and Lumix LX3. So, I'm not used to top level of customisation of endless variations.

- the zoom lens look and is awesome. it's not much bigger than the primes I think

- the size is perfect for me. not too big, not too smallnut it's not a pocketable camera.

- High ISO performance is simply outstanding

but there are also some concerns

- AF speed and attitude especially by shooting people (for kids already but I was aware of this) is quite annoying.(Yes, I have the latest firmware) As posted by the other Fuji X owners, the kit lens should be the fastest. I can't imagine then how slow the other prime lenses should be.

It's quite a busy work to be done to learn how to fast focus with X-E1. My 8 years old Nikon D70 can auto focus much faster than X-E1 in any conditions. Especially this in and out searching the focus point bothers me.

But, to be fair if the focus is on then it's crispy sharp.

- I can't figure out what this continious focusing mode does. It's definitely not focus tracking though. Can someone explain me how to utilise from it?

- Battery life -> With the first load I managed to shoot only 120 images, with quite much playing though. It's still very poor I think.

- By the OOC JPGs I find the default sharpening a little too harsh. I believed Fujis produce rather soft images. Do I miss something?

All in all, I wouldn't like the give the camera back cause it's lovely and IQ is spectacular for this size.

She requires only some work to get the best performance out of it.

Maybe I need to practice and shoot with the camera a lot to reach better results. From emotional point of view she is a hit for me.

Cheers

p.s.I just had very limited time to shoot with X-E1. So these are rather snap shots from an experienced enthusiast.So don't get bothered from the lacking artisitic vision.

All OOC with no PP anyway

more photos are in my gallery

EyeOtBeholder Gallery

EyeOTBeholder's gear list:EyeOTBeholder's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow