How do you manually focus a 5d3 while shooting video?

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,564Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you manually focus a 5d3 while shooting video?
In reply to Ecorone, Nov 26, 2012

Ecorone wrote:

I've become pretty comfortable with still photography with the 5d3 and now I want to explore the video capabilities. As if you can't already tell, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to videography.

My current stumbling block is: How on earth do you manually focus a 5d3 while shooting video?

So autofocus isn't a good option for a number of reasons. If I'm not shooting at the lens' max aperture, the video would suddenly go really bright as soon as I press af-on. Regardless of aperture, having the video jerk into focus while emitting a "click-click-click" sound spoils the mood of anything I want to film.

I was hoping to manually focus using a technique similar to using Live View while shooting a static shot and having an area magnified to 5x or 10x for focussing. However, the magnifying glass button seems to do nothing when I press it during video recording. My eyes aren't good enough to critically focus based on what I see on the camera's small LCD... so how is it done?

Thanks in advance.

I have been using a 5D2 for years (sorry, no 5D3) and am not interested in paying big bucks for advanced rigs with focus pulling and external monitors. For mostly casual video, I have been very happy with an external LCD loupe (Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x; http://store.zacuto.com/z-finder.html) as well as an external mic (Rode Stereo Video Mic. - good for capturing ambient sound; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=450170&is=REG&A=details&Q=).  The loupe make manual focus relatively easy and the mic provides decent audio (compared to the crappy built-in one). I occasionally use a shoulder rig for stabilization, but find that the eye cup on the Zacuto provides OK stabilization most of the time.

Don't give up on the 5D3 for video. A good LCD loupe will be very helpful without costing you a lot of money. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow