Any love out there for the 85mm f/1.8 AF-D ?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Finch585
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
Re: Any love out there for the 85mm f/1.8 AF-D ?
In reply to Mark_A, Nov 26, 2012

Mark_A wrote:

Finch585 wrote:

I'm considering the 85mm f/1.8 AF-D over the newer G version and looking for yay/nay feedback. I think I'd prefer the manual aperture ring and what appears to be a sturdier build.

I know he's controversial here, but Ken Rockwell wrote in his review: "The Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF andAF-D have superb optical and mechanical quality."

Any dissenters or comments either direction, please?

Hi Jeffrey,

I have the 85mm f1.8 D on a DX crop sensor.

I like it, plenty sharp enough even quite wide open. The depth of field at f1.8 is very narrow. The lens is nice and small. The hood is metal and nice and solid.

When I was deciding to purchase it the only other possible choice for me was the 85mm f1.4 AF D which has rounded diaphram blades which render out of focus highlights a bit more rounded. But the f1.4 is a lot more money and I decided I could not justify the extra.

My Nikon 85mm f1.8 D cost me £250, used, in perfect as new condition.

What body will you be using it with?

Mark

D7000, and I don't want to spend the larger sum for the f/1.4, either. thank you.

-- hide signature --
 Finch585's gear list:Finch585's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow