Olympus E-PM1 Questions/Recommendations for Novice

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Biffl
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PM1 Questions/Recommendations for Novice
In reply to regiolanthe, Nov 26, 2012

regiolanthe wrote:

Finally, would a ClearViewer suffice in place of the EVF given the use of manual lenses. At the moment, the VF-3 is on sale for under $100. Basically - would you prefer the ClearViewer or VF-3, given a somewhat negligble (about $45) price difference. Or do you think the ClearViewer would be a worthhwile add-on (even with the EVF)?

For other "starter" lenses, I'd be tempted to go manual focus 4/3 lenses with an adapter for the budget, and to let her (us) learn something about photography at a flea-bay price we can afford. Is there any reason to go with the branded (apparently Panny a better buy) adapter, or are the third-party adapters okay for manual lenses?. I really know little about photography - but am guessing she'd be interested in a macro lens - but am not sure what other 1 or 2 lenses people would recommend (she'd probably be most interested in "portrait"photography of friends, so anything that blurs/softens background would probably be appreciated).

Currently, only have the kit 14-42 (?) lens, and am considering buying a zoom while the holiday pricing is still right. Would you recommend the Olympus 40-150 or Panny 50-200? The zoom would probably be the only other AF lens that I would consider at the moment, as it is sized for body.

The Panasonic 45-200 has image stabilization in the lens, which you don't need because Olympus puts it in the camera. Save some money and get the Olympus 40-150.

An adapter is just to hold the lens the correct distance from the sensor, so cheap is okay but return it if it doesn't fit well. You can use just about any manual focus SLR lens - Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, etc. - if you have the right adapter. A good first purchase is a "nifty fifty" (50mm or thereabouts) because such lenses are relatively plentiful, cheap, small, and bright. They gave a "normal" field of view on 35mm film cameras but they give a "portrait" field of view on the smaller Micro Four Thirds sensor, and their wide apertures are useful for isolating the subject against a blurred background.

I never heard of a ClearViewer before, but after looking it up, I would not bother with it or even with a viewfinder unless your daughter decides she needs one. The E-PM1 has a decent LCD and it can magnify the image when manually focusing a lens. Your daughter's young eyes will probably have no trouble with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow