I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,325Gear list
Like?
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.
In reply to Scott Larson, Nov 25, 2012

Scott Larson wrote:

MAC wrote:

On major basketball, the boxes on the baseline are not always easy to get and the photog might be the end end, near the basket, or even the back row.

On "major basketball", you're shooting in venue with at least a stop more light.

When I shoot from the corners, the 135mm works great. If not, I also have the 200mm f2.8 which is optically as good as the 135mm and slightly better than my heavy 70-200mm f2.8 Mark II and much much lighter!

true on the iso 800 ss1/500 light for major venues.

glad those primes work for you, framing with 70-200 provides premium IMO though.

Until the new canon 1dx, IMO the Nikon 1ds FF with 70-200 had an advantage.

What's a "Nikon 1ds FF"???

sorry, d3s

IMO in both situations you describe, the new 1dx with 70-200 II would win IMO.

Why is throwing away a stop of light a "win"?

the new bodies have picked up on low noise at high iso- by almost the stop you mention.

the win is better framing With 70-200.

i 'd go with the 5d3 and 70-200 before the older 1d series with noisier at hi iso. 6400 on the 5d3 is very useable.

And ISO 3200 on the 5D Mark III is worse? Why shoot at ISO 6400 when you don't have to?

Primes are limiting on framing to and fro action.

why use older canon bodies when you can gain a stop of better noise with 5d3 or 1dx

then the f2.8 is useable vs f2.0 and the zoom trumps the prime for proper framing

just saying.

though I have primes, for fast action pj shooting with movement to and fro - the zoom wins for pj - under the concept that the newest bodies have improved noise. But one can still get good shots as you are saying with primes. Just not as many IMO.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow