A reason why people stop down m4/3s too much

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301
And to get the water fall...
In reply to danijel973, Nov 25, 2012

I agree with your point. The diffraction is just one factor to think about - and usually not the most important. Even sharpness is quite a lot overrated nowadays...

With landscapes (and other subject too) the wind, clouds, DOF etc vs. shutter speed makes a lot more quality to the result than the possible diffraction loss in the sharpness. For the wider DOF mFT/FT format has an advantage over FF and larger formats - and opposite: for the smaller DOF... But now and then there are situations where a photographer needs to turn the aperture beyond the F8. Quess what? Nothing dramatic happens with the result - if the step was wanted. If the result is unwanted long exposure time, then it is a mistake.

That said, I usually shoot whit larger apertures than f8 - mostly around F4 - F5.6. Sweet spots for most lenses and focal lenghts are there, so that is a good starting point. But fortunately there usually are possibilities also for opening up or closing down, if needed.

PS. I mostly use FT-lenses for better quality - and because I have them. No need to change yet.

'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow