I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.
In reply to Scott Larson, Nov 25, 2012

Scott Larson wrote:

MAC wrote:

I was thinking basketball on the baseline. I guess volleyball might be better with a prime

It's kind of the opposite. With volleyball, good photos can happen over a wide area. With basketball, most good photos happen around the basket so the zoom is less useful. The 85mm works great at the baseline.

The biggest problem with a zoom in volleyball is you'll need lots of light to freeze a volleyball with an f2.8 lens. The 135mm was almost able to do that wide open.

On major basketball, the boxes on the baseline are not always easy to get and the photog might be the end end, near the basket, or even the back row.  Until the new canon 1dx, IMO the Nikon 1ds FF with 70-200 had an advantage.

IMO in both situations you describe, the new 1dx with 70-200 II would win IMO.

i 'd go with the 5d3 and 70-200 before the older 1d series with noisier at hi iso.  6400 on the 5d3 is very useable.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow