first attempt at portrait lighting--suggestions welcome

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,273
Like?
Redo with your suggestions
In reply to Steve West, Nov 25, 2012

I put sheets over the 2 walls with green. Moved camera-left umbrella more to center and lowered it a bit. I put a reflector below and angled up to get more neck exposure. I snouted the hair light--it's subtle on the left back of the hair--maybe too subtle?

I reduced the left face and neck shadows, but still not enough. I got reflections in both eyes now, but different reflections in each eye.  The right key light showed up in the right eye--I need to re-position the light so it doesn't show in the right eye. If I zoom up, the low reflector caused a tear-like glint in the eyes, so I need to change its positioning.

Here's the original picture before your comments.  Geez-this one seemed nice at the time, but now seems like a throw-away!

Thanks so much for the suggestions as the result is vastly improved. I may move away from umbrellas to soft boxes just so I don't have to worry so much about the umbrellas reflecting off the walls and messing the white balance up in ways that can't be fixed very well.

I still have some work to do.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow