EFS 17-55 vs 15-85 in low light

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?
Mais78 ...
In reply to Mais78, Nov 24, 2012

Mais78 wrote:

I like my current set up: one camera, one zoom, one fast prime. I would not carry the 55-250 as second zoom. Everything has to fit in the small Lowepro messenger bag together with a small tripod, an Ipad and a lonelyplanet guide! So it is really about replacing the kit lense with one of those two. So you think the 15-85 is a better choice for my type of shots? ...

Base on your own criteria only YOU can decide if:

1. The 17-55 (27-88mm FF FOV) focal length range is enough for your photo needs.

2. The max f/2.8 for faster shutter speeds in low light conditions is more important to you than the additional 15-85 (24-136mm FF FOV) focal length range.

As already explained in previous posts, neither the IS or overall sharpness are a deciding factor between choosing one lens over the other.

Generally I do not agree much with most Ken Rockwell's opinions, but he does make some good points in his article on not getting too wrap-up lens sharpness tests: here

When I want to travel relatively light have a fairly small canvas type case that holds the 60D with the 15-85, T2i with either the 55-250 IS or 18-200 IS, 50 1.8, 430EX II, and extra batteries.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow