Tethering Canon to PC Using Looooong USB Cords?

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gina
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Tethering Canon to PC Using Looooong USB Cords?
Nov 24, 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to set up a Canon t3i outside, then return inside and control the camera by using the live view software Canon provides. Apparently this will allow me to see the live view image so I can focus and release the shutter using my computer. I would need about 50ft of cable for a tether. I understand that usb is best in no more than 15' lengths, and that I might need hubs or an "active extender" cable to get the length I need.

My questions are:

Has anyone had experience with this, and what cables/hubs or combinations thereof did you purchase to get a satisfactory setup?

Is there a speed decrease in the camera operation/focus speed with longer cables, or does it matter much? I wondered if the live view remote software would be fast enough over this length of cable, or if I would become frustrated?  I would be using the set up to shoot wild birds at feeders and perches.

Thank you!

Gina

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow