Considering Upgrade from 5D2 to 5D3 - Advice needed!

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Questions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,370Gear list
Like?
For manually focused landscapes...
In reply to Chrisd999, Nov 24, 2012

Hundminen wrote:

Yet another 5D2 vs 5D3 thread:

I have an opportunity to swap my 1 year old 5D2 for a 1 month old 5D3 for $1700 cash. Looking for some advice on whether to proceed.

I am an enthusiast amateur/hobbyist and I shoot mostly landscapes, travel, streetscapes, a bit of bird/wildlife, and of course wife, kids, pet. I take about 10,000 shots a year, load the keepers onto photo-frames around the house, post only the best ones up on the web (flickr, pixoto, 500px) and rarely print 8x10's of the best. I enjoy the entire process of creating images, both shooting and post processing (mostly LR). I use manual focus with the landscapes. I am aware of the very slight advantages of the 5D3 in regards to low-light/high-ISO and large focus advantage. I realize I may not see any major improvement in image quality, but I am curious if the upgrade will increase my keeper rate, and if other improvements in the 5D3 will make the process of shooting images even more enjoyable than it already is. By the way, I am heavily invested in Canon glass, and will not consider a system change, so don't bother going there.

I would be interested to hear the perspective of others who have made a similar upgrade, and whether they feel it was worth the extra coin.

...presumably shot from a tripod, the only reason I might consider upgrading to the 5D3 would be the ostensibly greater weather resistance. Otherwise, if I was happy with the image quality I was getting from the 5D2, I wouldn't be interested in the slightest in upgrading to the 5D3.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow