HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
shutterthug
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?
In reply to hullodare, Nov 24, 2012

hullodare wrote:

Your headshot work is outstanding. I spent some time looking at your web site and the imagery is superb.

Thank you very much, Tom.  I find your use of color and composition very moving, and really appreciate the compliment.

The 100L is a sensational lens for portraiture and headshot work. There is zero distortion from the lens. Zero. It is absolutely razor sharp wide open. Stop it down to f/3.5 or f/4 and to my eyes I have never seen a sharper lens. It's a joy to hand hold. The IS does come in handy. Even if you don't use IS now I predict you will fall in love with it quickly. It's THAT good. I really think you should give it a try for a few headshot sessions. If you don't fall head over heels in love with the 100L I would be very, very surprised.

I think I'll rent the one I played with yesterday for an extended period of time and see how it feels.  I'm so optimistic based on feedback such as yours that I've already photographed my 85L (and its seldom-used 35mm cousin) for sale.

Stay tuned!

—m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow