HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
shutterthug
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?
In reply to MirekE, Nov 24, 2012

MirekE wrote:

The 100 is lighter and not so bulky and therefore nicer to handhold.

Definitely noticed the weight savings in the hour I played with the 100L, but it was tripod-mounted for food work so not as obvious an advantage since I shoot headshots hand-held.  Gotta say, there's something I like about the heft of the 85L on the 5* bodies.  Kinda like the difference between a steel-frame handgun versus a polymer-type.

The AF is considerably faster (with limiter) and side by side the 100 is as sharp or sharper, if that is a concern.

You think a significant difference in sharpness at f/3.5?  Wish I'd had time to do a side-by-side test.  Regardless, sharpness isn't really an enemy with my work.  I could see it being a possible issue for some glamour portraiture, but not for my commercial headshots.

I had the 100 only shortly, but it was my impression that it is more resistant to veiling glare.

Help a dummy out?

It is hard to explain, but the 100 has somehow more "modern" or clinical look, but I am sure you already noticed it if you rented it. I would not be surprised if you decided to get it.

Unfortunately, I was shooting macro on some tasty-looking Korean hot wings with kimchianaise sauce and didn't have a chance to see how it handled faces.  Another time maybe...

Thx for your input!

—m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow