Ordering a new K-5 IIs

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
J Posthuma
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Ordering a new K-5 IIs
In reply to RichardRE, Nov 24, 2012

Richard,

A lot depends on how much energy you'ld like to put in getting out all the strenghts of your cam. I am way out the limiting factor in using our K5. Often do not get close to get out of it what it can do. So if this applies to you, you might think about something a bit less costly and put more in the glass. I do not say you must obey this as using a fine cam like the K5 itself is a pleasure worth a lot, seen apart from the results you get out of it.

Maybe you might analyse in Lightrooom how you use your LX3, what focal length you use most. And make an estimation of your MX and the focal length used.

In my imagination you would love having something wide in addition to what you've got now.

If you are really going to invest in time and energy to get out of your K5 what is in it buy the best lenses only, being primes and a solid tripod. If you want to work a bit smoother and faster buy a good zoom. Find out where the sweet spots are and use accordingly. If you are going to buy in between glass do not spend biggest money on the camera.

Unless of course you are in for buying the camera for the fun of it. K5's are indeed a joy to use!

There are lots of threads on this forum discussing strength and weaknesses of lenses, so read yourself around a bit. If you have the patience let time help you to grow into a decision.

Out of my own experience I can only share about DA*16-50 and 50-135. I like both. The 16-50 is a bit harder to use. Wide open it is a bit soft. But at F8 quite good. It is in my view very good at close distances like .30m. The 50-135 is very good, use it a lot at 5.6.

Whatever you do, you will not regret it as Pentax gives you a lot of usabiliy and good lenses.

Please keep us informed of your thoughts / doubts in this decision proces and later on show us your pictures.

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Jetze

J Posthuma's gear list:J Posthuma's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow