Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gan106
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Picked up XE-1 Silver kit yesterday - first thoughts and photos
Nov 24, 2012

Ordered from Pictureline in Salt Lake City on 9/6. Love the camera and the kit lens (18-55mm).  Image quality even in low light and high ISO is excellent.  I normally shoot with a Nikon D4 and it takes a lotto impress me but this camera certainly does!  The lens is smooth and finds focus easily and quickly in most situations but in very low light it does hunt a bit for focus.  In an action situation, you might miss a shot or two but for what I was photographing yesterday, it was not a problem.  For the first day, I kept my settings simple: "P" shooting mode, auto WB, auto dynamic range, Provia film simulation (default), and auto ISO.  The photos below have no post processing except for some cropping on one of them.  I was especially impressed with the color I was getting and sharpness in the focus area.  Pushing the command dial to check focus is a great feature. Note: if the photos below are not in the correct orientation, click on "original sizes" and they will right themselves.

This is 100% + cropped but the focus and detail hold.  1/30, F4.0, ISO 640

Dynamic range is good.  1/320, F5.6, ISO 800

Be sure to look at this in original size. Color and detail is amazing for a low light photo.  1/30, F3.2, ISO 3200

Another very low light photo. Focus was on cherry bottle label.  1/30, F3.2, ISO 5000 (yes, you read that right!)

Christmas lights in Salt Lake City.  1/30, F3.2, ISO 1600.  Another one you should look at in original size for detail and color.

Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow