fck
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Re: Which Size UV Filter (protection) For the SX50
In reply to Mark B., Nov 24, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

Monicakm wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

I would use the lens hood instead. I'm surprised it's not included, but looking at the specs that is the case unfortunately. Unless you're shooting in poor conditions (in which case the rest of the camera is at risk as well) you don't need a protection filter. A proper lens hood will prevent flare as well as flying debris.

This is the Canon lens hood:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_253309

No need to spend $25, there should be much cheaper but just as effective versions on ebay.

Mark

Mark, I doubt I'll have the lens hood on all the time. I know it collapses. I've never had one before so I'll figure that out when I get it, but, a couple of the reasons I use a UV fllter is to protect from dust and finger prints. The lens hood isn't going to protect from that.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Pretty much all I use on my DSLR lenses is a lens hood, and I never worry about fingerprints - I don't touch my lens It doesn't harm the lens element at all to clean fingerprints. Dust isn't even on my radar. A decent blower takes care of dust.

The filter won't do anything for lens flare, and a cheap one will make it worse.

Mark

A friend purchased a Kenko UV Filter for his SX50 and is convinced or so he says that image sharpness has been negatively affected. Is this possible?

FCK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow