Intelligent Resolution - a Demo

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,624
Like?
Re: Intelligent Resolution - a Demo
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Nov 24, 2012

Well, I couldn't see where the cons were discussed, but perhaps I missed it.

He says "This feature selectively sharpens an imageā€¦" but he doesn't mention noise reduction. If you look at the description of iResolution on the Panasonic Global site for the FZ200 it says that noise reduction is applied as well as sharpening. I think that is why I found in my tests that low contrast fine detail did suffer slightly by using iRes.

If you download the full images given in the review for iRes ON and OFF, and examine them closely side-by-side, then you will see that in the vegetation there are areas where fine detail has been smeared away and lost. It is only a slight loss, but a loss just the same. You will also see the sharpening artifacts from iRes.

I think also that if Panasonic had intended that people should switch on iRes and leave it switched on then they would have incorporated the effect permanently into the JPG processing. As it is provided as an option only, I think that also supports what I found and that is, for certain subjects, it is better to have iRes switched off.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow