Like?
Re: SD15 last orders - SD16 when ?
In reply to rf-design, Nov 24, 2012

rf-design wrote:

Hi Pete,

here are the two lenses

the old 17-70mm F2.8-4.0

the new 17-70mm F2.8-4.0

That would be a very good point to upgrade standard zoom lenses to the 1.7x resolution upgrade of the new sensor. But...

I have doubts that this will happen. I expect only marginal resolution updates on the the new lenses and think that the new sensor will need a complete different roadmap for lens construction. So zooms have to be less apture and less range to come close to the resolution shown in the DPxM series. Like a 16-50mm F4-5.6 with near diffraction limited resolution at starting apture.

For the SD16 the hardware for processing need an update to cut image processing times by 1/4 and improving battery livetime. HD video and Liveview is also mainly limited by the expensive NRE investments in custom hardware.

The simplest way for Sigma is to offer a better value in a cheaper body. But the body does not make a 700€ difference. At a 7D/A77/D300s price point there is much missing.

I don't want Sigma to go backwards and produce an inferior or cheaper body for their flagship camera--the SD1M.  No way.  It took years to get Sigma to produces a water resistant, dust resistant bodied camera that could hold up to the elements.  It would be dreadful for Sigma to take a step backwards and produce an inferior bodied camera.  Live view is what is needed for the SD1M series.

Gary Mercer

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow