A Sky FULL of Paragliders - Just Enjoy!!

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bruce Clarke
Senior MemberPosts: 2,547Gear list
Like?
Re: For me : Not-So-Boring soaring : )
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Nov 24, 2012

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Bruce Clarke wrote:

Nice set Roel. The 50-200 shots compressing them together makes it look a bit mad!

Compression is indeed creating the most WOW effect here.

It is actually fairly busy. The flying may be easy, but you need to keep your eyes open and follow the rules of the air.

Paragliding is my main interest apart from photography. Most of us prefer thermaling up to cloudbase from inland hills and flying cross-country, but at this time of year in the northern hemisphere, a nice easy bit of coastal 'boring soaring' is always welcome!

For those versed in paragliding, what they did above and against those dunes may indeed be easy and boring (as a manner of speaking), but it sure did look exciting enough for me. I would like to be the passenger in one of those...

Ask around, you may be able to get a tandem flight, and this kind of flying is ideal for your first try in nice, smooth sea air. You could get some good shots too, as you're not having to worry about flying it!Take a good case for take-off and landing though - you sometimes stumble.

In the UK, you're not allowed to charge for tandem flights, so you just need to chat people up. Not sure what the score is there. In the Alps, it's commercial, and not cheap, but you'll probably take off from a big mountain, and maybe get to thermal up a bit if it's summer (it will be rougher if so!). Or if you are serious, do a solo taster day. Nothing quite like getting your feet off the ground for the first time : )  Trouble is, it's addictive, and very weather-dependent.

Bruce

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Clarke's gear list:Bruce Clarke's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow