Nikon D90 vs D5100

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions thread
rgbdave
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D90 vs D5100
In reply to mehigh, Nov 24, 2012
I would like to see some photos from you where the 14bits of raw really helped you to recover a properly exposed shoot or any feat that couldn't have been achieved with 12bit! I'm very curious...
I live in the UK where we have very bad light... I'm not going to ignore anything which gives greater shadow recovery!
http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/nikon-d300-d3-14-bit-versus-12-bit.html

Plus the superior flash system control of the D90 and the fact that it can focus with older lenses...

As I said... A vast collection of legacy lenses needing an in camera motor? d90. Frequent use of complex flash systems? d90. Otherwise, d5100.

Don't feel the need to get defensive over the d90 - I said I found it a fantastic camera, it produced many images which provide great memories and many images which sold. But *for me* the lighter more compact d5100 has proved the keeper... and that's because of image quality. I have little interest in buttons.

mehigh wrote:

rgbdave wrote:

Had both, sold the d90. Both are fantastic cameras, but the d5100 has better dynamic range than the d90, and coming from a film background, dynamic range remains the big challenge for digital.

I don't do sports/events photography therefore don't need instant access to controls, therefore 14bit RAW files of greater dynamic range from the d5100 are more important to me than buttons on the d90. It's the images which matter not the camera.

I still use my 35mm OM2... it has precious few buttons, still a damn good camera though. It really is subjective, according to your needs, but the d5100 offers aperture priority with control via a scroll wheel, exposure compensation via a hardware button, and ISO controllable via use of the function button. What else *really* matters?

A vast collection of legacy lenses needing an in camera motor? d90. Frequent use of complex flash systems? d90. Otherwise, d5100.

-- hide signature --

If you expose properly with any modern DSLR camera the need for that greater dynamic range is significantly reduced.

If you need to recover shadows or overexposed photos use the RAW file and bake it yourself in Lightroom 4. The headroom in both cameras is anyway more or less the same.

If you anyway shoot a scene that has such a huge contrast, the best approach would be to take multiple exposures and do an exposure blending...or god forbid, an HDR...you said that you don't do sports, so those techniques should suit you perfectly.

And btw, I think you're buying to much into the theoretical specs advantage...check this post to understand the practical value of the 14bits http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/28738674

I would like to see some photos from you where the 14bits of raw really helped you to recover a properly exposed shoot or any feat that couldn't have been achieved with 12bit! I'm very curious...

Anyway, the D90 is by far a much better camera than the D5100 because you have more controls - you can easily change Aperture or ISO from the 2 dial wheels and the most important aspect, you have a pentaprism viewfinder in the D90 compared to a lousy pentamirror in the D5100.

Plus the superior flash system control of the D90 and the fact that it can focus with older lenses...

Those things bring value, not the stupid 12bit vs 14bit which are only valuable in the unicorn world where some photographers live

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 rgbdave's gear list:rgbdave's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow