Started Nov 20, 2012 | Questions thread
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,014
Like?
Re: Canon Pixma Pro9500 MK II problem
In reply to missing, Nov 23, 2012

This is good help - from all of you.

Thank you.

So - to check I understand. ICC profile - that is just anothr name for paper type? As long as I have downloaded, installed whatever the different ICC profiles - they will appear as paper types in the print dialogue (eihter the program I use or in the dialogue for the printer driver)? For instance "Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss" is an ICC profile?

THEY MIGHT BE NAMED IN SOME CRYPTIC WAY BUT THEY BASICALLY TELL THE PRINTER WHAT TO DO ON THAT PARTICULAR PAPER TYPE.

DO NOT CONFUSE THE ICC PROFILES WITH TCHOOSING THE PROPER PAPER TYPE IN THE PRINTER DRIVER. IN FACT IF YOU ARE USING THE ICC PROFILES INSTALLED WITH THE DRIVERS THE YOU NEED TO ALSO CHOOSE THE MATCHING PAPER TYPE IN YOUR DRIVER.

YOU CAN OF COURSE CHOOSE ANOTHER PAPER TYPE BUT THE MANUFACTURES OF YOUR ICC PROFILES USED A CERTAIN PAPER TYPE CHOICE WHEN THEY PRODUCED IT AND FOR THE BEST RESULTS YOU MUST ALSO CHOOSE THE SAME TYPE IN YOUR DRIVER.

THE CHOSSING OF THE PAPER TYPE IN THE DRIVER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ICC PROFILE. THE PROFILES IS CHOSEN IN THE PHOTOSHOP PRINTING DIALOGE.

And then - some programs like PSE will try to handle the color mangement. And if you are not careful - then both the program and the driver will try to handle color management.

BIG YES! THAT'S WHY I SUGGEST YOU TURN OFF COLOR MANAGEMENT IN YOUR PRINTER PROPERTIES IN THE PRINTERS & FAXES WINDOW.

But what if I do not want PSE to do color management. I want to leave it to the driver (as I have now started to understand all the settings in the driver panel)? How do I do that? Is the program so smart that if I have chosen Manual and Driver - then the program itself will not try to meddle with the color management?

IF FOR WHATEVER REASON YOU WANT THE DRIVER TO CONROL COLOR ( I WOULD NOT ) THEN JUST TURN COLOR MANAGEMENT BACK ON IN THE DRIVER AND IN THE PHOTOSHOP OR OTHER PRINTING DIALOGE CHOSE TO THE LET THE PRINTER CONTROL COLOR.

SO YOU ARE TURNING ONE ON AND TURNING ONE OFF.

AND NO! THE DRIVER IS NOT INTELLIGENT. YOU MUST TELL IT WHAT TO DO 100% OF THE TIME.

I have not found any setting in PSE that says - leave color managment to the driver. I have only found setting in the driver that says : Auto / Manual. And if I choose Manual I can then choose Driver, ICM (???) and None.

THAT'S IT. NONE IS WHAT YOU WOULD WANT. I NEVER YOU PSE BUT THE GOAL IS TO NEVER LET THE DRIVER CONTROL COLOR IF YOUR INTENTION IS TO PRINT WITH ICC PROFILES.

Lots of questions. But the damned paper is so expensive (not to mention the ink) - that I do not want to do too much experimentation. I understand I have to do some - and I do - but still. All this help is very useful.

WATCH THE VIDEO LINKS I POSTED FOR YOU.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow