Can't Decide: Nikon 24mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4 for portraits

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
rinsephotographic
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
if you have to ask...
In reply to mainenikon, Nov 23, 2012

mainenikon wrote:

Hi everyone. Hoping to get some advice. I plan to set up a photography business/studio using a D600 and 1 or two SB-700 flashes (and umbrellas, etc). In the winter I'll shoot portraits inside. In the warmer months I want to shoot portraits outside at various interesting locations. I'm torn between the 24mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. I know the 85mm is an awesome portrait lens. But I also would like to use my D600 to shoot the night sky when not doing portraits (hence the 24mm). Will the 24mm work well inside a small studio using flashes/umbrellas, etc or is it just too wide for that? Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

...you don't need either lens. the FOV and the subsequent 'look' each lens produces is so radically different that they shouldn't ever be considered as equal or equivalent. lenses  are like wrenches: if you're serious, you need more than one. save your money...you do not need the 1.4 version of either of these lenses. fast lenses are useless in a studio. buy the 85/1.8 and spend money on lights and modifiers.

-- hide signature --

dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow