A quick J1 question

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Questions thread
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264Gear list
Like?
Re: A quick J1 question
In reply to Slanicka Tomas, Nov 23, 2012

Slanicka Tomas wrote:

Chess, backgammon, cards etc. are sports too. But serious, suitability for sport shooting depends on AF sensor and lens speed (how fast it will focus). Nikon 1 J1 has enough good AF, but the 10-30 lens is little bit lazy.

But I think that there is another problem. Maybe bigger. It is focal length. The 10-30mm kit zoom offer a 27-80mm equivalent range. For example for shooting car races or football you need to have something like 200mm.

Even with the 30-110, the J1's lack of a real viewer makes it hard to use for shooting "serious" sports even in good light.   Outside, in good light, I can catch decent shots of my little girl or dog running around, but things are never framed "just so" like with my D7K.  Furthermore, my D7K's size makes it a more stable platform for shooting and it is a million times easier to change settings during a shoot.  The J1's menu driven system is simply not up to the task of being a "sports" camera.

Having said that, it is probably good enough for snapshots of kids events provided you have a lens (probably a 30-110mm) that fits the size of the field and good light.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow