2 things I wish I'd known about before buying an SX50. (EVF & Grip observations).

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew McP
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?
Re: 2 things I wish I'd known about before buying an SX50. (EVF & Grip observations).
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 23, 2012

They are not going to change things if they can sell the camera without changing it.

I know, we only have ourselves to blame.

Have you tried bending your arms at the elbow so the LCD is close to your face? This is something that does not appear to be obvious to many DSLR users using screen only cameras for the first time.

Hehe... when I said "arm's length" clearly I am familiar with the concept of bent elbows. However I'll never use a camera like that, it makes no sense unless trying to shoot overhead for some reason. Why introduce any additional camera shake risk if you have a choice? That's why I only buy cameras with viewfinders. I like photography, not camera aerobics.

Another point is that a 1/2.3" sensor camera is unlikely to cannibalise the DSLR or any large sensor market just because it has a good EVF.

Yes, you're right. I took the SX50 out for a walk alongside the 40D today and I now remember there is one simple rule with small sensor cameras... when framing a shot remember that you will never be able to crop. Even with RAW.

I was relatively impressed by the cameras ability to react to spontaneous opportunities though, once I'd turned the LCD/EVF brightness up to max. Until then I struggled to see the EVF properly in fairly weak autumnal sunshine. I think a spare battery is going on my shopping list.

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow