Does Tamron or Sigma have a lens that compares to the Canon EF-S 15-85?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Unfortunately no ...
In reply to kramericaman, Nov 23, 2012

... probably be nice if Tamron or Sigma did have a 15-85 (or even a 15-70) lens that compared to the Canon's 15-85.  At this time Canon is enjoying a monopoly with the 15-85 IS focal length range; hence can sell for whatever the market will bear.

I also was seriously considering the Sigma 17-70 2.8-40 OS, but decided to wait, save up the $, and buy the 15-85 IS the next time Canon offered the $100 instant rebate -- which I did for the additional WA and tele focal lengths.  As much as I like the 15-85 IS, IMHO, the standard $799 price is too much in consideration the amount of vignetting the lens has and no lens hood.

You can see Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens & Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Image Quality comparison at the-digital-picture.com: here

For it's price the image quality overall appears good, except for at the corners at the max apertures; especially at 70mm as you can see at the above comparison.

Lenstip.com also has a in depth review of the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4: here

One advantages of the Canon 15-85 is that if you shoot RAW, Canon's DPP's lens profile does a good job of easily correcting lens distortion, vignetting, and CA.  Of course RAW images from the Sigma can also be corrected, but will take more manual PP on your part.

Noticed that the Sigma on sale right now for US$399.

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow