24-85VR at f/4.5 (D800 image)

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,700
Like?
Re: 24-85VR at f/4.5 (D800 image)
In reply to Riccardo Polini, Nov 23, 2012

Thanks, Riccardo. Yes, I've been leaning towards giving the 105VR a try. My main hesitation is that I've never been as comfortable with primes as with zooms, though I've gotten some great quality out of my primes (a 50 f/1.8 and a 35 f/2 are all I have today). I tried the 105VR at PhotoPlus in New York last month, and liked it. My past problem with primes has just been that I always seem to have the wrong focal length mounted for the next shot that comes up. If I shot more with primes, I'd probably learn to look for the shot that matches the lens, rather than vice-versa.

I've also been somewhat tempted by the Tamron 24-70, which I have also tried in a store. Seems like a great lens, but the non-standard filter size is a little bit of a put-off for me, and I've read that the optics are mounted with just spots of glue, which doesn't give me confidence in the long-term quality. If I knew Nikon was coming out with a 24-70VR in the near future, I'd probably wait for that. But at the moment, wanting at least one more lens which can get the maximum in quality from the D800, I'm thinking the 105VR may be the way to go for me.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow