Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: I've joined the 5D club! - need advice on 7D
In reply to schmegg, Nov 23, 2012

schmegg wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I have to speak honestly.

Of course.

To be honest, I don't really disagree with your assertions. The FF bodies are capable of delivering higher IQ. But the significance of the difference in IQ between a FF body and a crop body will be a personal judgement - this is what I'm attempting to point out. For many, probably the majority these days, the extra cost of FF is just not worth it for the amount of difference in their final images.

Depend on what situation. In landscapes and portraitures, I see the difference clearly even at 2000-pixel wide on my opinions. I fully respect that you might view differently. On my opinion, FF photos not only sharper but naturally sharper and cleaner, noticeable better in smoothness of color rendition, more popup (more 3-D look that I know is very subjective), not just in high ISO and shadows but at base ISO as well.   Maybe my eyes got trained earlier as 5D1 is my very first Canon cameras of any kinds. I used D50 but followed DPR forum (not a member yet) for awhile already then. 5Dc IQ in portraiture and landscape are simply stunning and even still can withstand any today's DSLRs at 12mp after 7 years, I jumped when Canon launched massive double or triple bundle deal with 24-105L and PixmaPro 9000/9500 printer then. As I said I am just an enthusiast but I follow higher standard. May never be there but trying to be closer a bit. And fortunately I could afford with disposable money    Never regret a bit.

Heck - I'm pretty picky to be honest - but, even for me, the difference in many situations is not what I'd consider significant. Sometime not noticeable at all. (IMHO of course)

Depend on what situation.  In lanscapes and portratures, I see the difference clearly even at 2000-pixel wide on my opinons.  I fully respect that you might view differently.  On my opinon, FF photos not only sharper but naturally sharper and cleaner, noticeble better in smoothness of color rendition, more popup (more 3-D look that I know is very subjective), not just in high ISO and shadows but at base ISO as well.

But everyone will make their own judgement regarding the relevance of the difference - and everyone will be correct with their assessment too! Because the relevance is open to debate, and, as you can see, there are quite a few people, capable photographers too, who seem to make a different assessment than you do. (nothing wrong with that, of course - your opinion is just as valid)

Agreed. I actually never dispute on that on my records. I am just arguing on absolute IQ difference. Anyone has different views of values and worthiness.  I was actually seriously considering to get 1DX.  I can afford but the issue is that I am not a fulltime paid photog so the chances of using this beast is pretty low (as in my 1D3 case) while it’s noticeable bulky to carry in most travels (and doesn’t fit into my current camera bag well).  So I bought a 5D3 at excellent price just one hour’s ago (will get next week) that will be my main camera in my planned Africa safari next year with 500L and 1D3+100-400L as second camera, far and near.  However in airshows and very fast actions I will still trust my old 1D3 better to capture precise and critical moments, or in brutal weather condition (such as in Antarctica ).

Life is short so play hard

>BTW, from a personal perspective - it's nice to have a civil and sensible discussion with you. Thanks for staying calm and making your point in an intelligent manner - I really appreciate it! I like thenewqianp2k much better!

Absolutely.  I am still the same actually but learn better how to ignore trolling.  Let's debate on merits not on emotions 

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yarnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow