Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 Question: focus points too limited? A: Yes
In reply to jonikon, Nov 23, 2012

jonikon wrote:

EYeye wrote:

I shot a wedding and struggled with the fact that my tall bride (6'2") could NOT have the focus point (shooting single point AFC - focus point her far eye) on her eye and have the frame (vertical & worse horizontal) from head to toe including her dress with short train arrayed behind her (outdoor wedding in confined Japanese Garden space). Used 24-85mm VR due to plenty of light outdoors.

This got WORSE (of course) indoors using 50mm 1.4G (low light - KUDOS to D600 here - shot at ISO 3200 and occasionally higher up to ISO 6400 as DJ lowered lights for dancing). It was very hard (for me - YMMV) to "foot zoom", pan with shallow DOF (shot lots at f2 or f2.2), and focus and recompose, so I lost some nice shots to lack of optimum focus (have not yet been to LR4 - maybe I can save some).

What did I learn? YES - I do wish the outer focus point could be moved "higher" in the frame with the joy stick (both vertically and horizontally - AKA landscape or portrait), especially in tight places and with 50mm prime. This likely would be true as well for lower placement of focus point shooting animals low in a frame in landscape shooting, or BIF low to water. I'd want to move the focus point lower.

Did you try using Face Detection focusing? I believe FD will cover the entire frame for you.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"
- Jon

Jon, I believe that FD only covers the entire frame in LiveView.

I intend to give FD more of a workout both in and out of LV. As has been mentioned above, the 91000 point RGB sensors may provide very good functionality.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow