BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,835Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?
In reply to Glenn_Sydney, Nov 23, 2012

I have no idea of the Tamron lens, but the 100-400L is now stuck on my 7D. I love the combo and can get really good results with it, even though I'm not the most talented bird photographer.

In my galleries there are some of my early test images which include a 100% crop of a finch at ISO 1,600 (some pp work), and a low ISO 100% crop of a pigeon (which was oversharpened for a forum discussion). I have better results, but haven't uploaded those images, so they're not representative of what the lens is capable of, more to give an impression for what it can do when used casually.

What I will say is that at the moment I am also thinking about the 400/5.6L. Not as a replacement, but specifically for BiF. The 100-400L can do BiF, but I would like something that can focus faster and is easier to hold. The two would make a great pair!

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow