westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Poor solution? Who says?
In reply to mosswings, Nov 23, 2012

mosswings wrote:

jonikon wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

It was actually useful to read that the potential AF problem could be cured by the user with a hex key.

That is a very poor solution and will void the warranty.

Yup. The hex key "fix" affects the parallelism of the main and AF sensors. It can therefore fix one region of the frame while throwing another one off. Adjusting this hex key is just one of the steps involved in properly calibrating the AF system. The full adjustment also involves writing offset codes for each focus zone into the camera's firmware after overall parallelism has been established. The hex key fix first surfaced in the D80 era, and slight errors in parallelism that this method might introduce were less critical. Now that cameras have doubled that resolution, that leeway is pretty much gone.

This so-called "poor solution" put my D7000 on par with a D90 and D700 that were beating the pants off of it in the AF department. I can now get spot-on performance with any of the central 21 points, with any lens, and only a very, very minute back-focus every third or fourth shot when using any of the remaining outer points (so minute that it takes a pixel-peeping view to notice). I guess I just got lucky then, huh? My AF improved across the board with the hex-key adjustment, since the camera back-focused, fairly badly, from every AF point, on pretty much every shot before).

As for warranty, it was out anyway (refurb), so I didn't void anything. Actually, I saved a trip to the repair facility, and a bill for the adjustment. I'm not suggesting that every camera with a problem can be fixed as well as mine, or that everyone should try this on their camera, but my experience was absolutely positive in every way. My D7000 performs practically flawlessly now. Tough to argue with such success...even so, there's always someone out there who will try.

-- hide signature --

K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow