BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,398Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF- Cropping EF 100-400 L IS vs Tamron 70-300 SP VC Photos ?
In reply to Glenn_Sydney, Nov 23, 2012

Glenn_Sydney wrote:

Thanks R2D2. Some magnificent shots in your gallery. wow!!!!.

Hey thanks very much Glenn'.  Birding is such a fun and exhilarating pastime.  I do really like all three of the Canon (mid-level) birding lenses (haven't tried the new 70-300L yet tho).  You can't go wrong with any of them IMO.  The 400 prime does have a bit of an advantage for BIF though.

How much cropping can you do with the 100-400 vs the 500 f5.6 and result in similar and acceptable image quality ?

If you get a really good copy of the 100-400, then IQ will be pretty similar (the slight edge still goes to the prime IMHO).  How much you can crop into an image depends on your output requirements.  For instance if I'm printing say a Super-B 19x13, then I can crop to about 150 ppi and still get an outstanding print.  If I'm only displaying online (generally up to 1280x720 sized images), then I can crop a bit further.

Are the shots in your gallery cropped much?

Most are cropped a bit to taste, and most keep about 75% or more of their pixels.

I sometimes find myself cropping near 60% or so. I guess the extra 100mm reach of a 400mm lens would help in this regard.

Definitely a difference between 300 and 400.  I almost always grab the 400 when birding (even though it doesn't have IS).  I do like the 300 f4L IS for walks through the park though where the critters are more approachable, and it also makes an outstanding zoo lens.  Also if skies are overcast, then the extra stop of shutter speed helps quite a bit for BIFs.

Hope this helps some.  Good luck,

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow