Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GomerP
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Convince me to not buy the RX100
Nov 22, 2012

I enjoy taking pictures, but have never had a "real" camera.  Unless the Panasonic TZ7 is such a camera.

I think I have a good eye for composition, and an understanding of shooting manually.  I also recently moved to DC which means there is ample opportunity for interesting shots.  The goal is to be able to capture some of it before we move in a few years and to make some prints to decorate our walls.

I'm drawn to the Sony because of it's large sensor, portability, and fast lens/low light capabilities.  Many of the memorials (especially the Korean War Memorial) are especially compelling at night.

The primary turnoff is the price.  The night before last Amazon was including the Sony leather case and a 16 GB class 10 memory card for $648.  I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger.

While I'm the sort that realizes the best never comes cheap, I also have an eye for value, as well as the functional lifespan of an item.  In other words, is it so advanced that it won't be quickly surpassed and I'll be wishing I had waited.  It's a typical conundrum I'm sure!

Others I have considered are the S100 and the LX7.

The main thing I don't need is small form factor (although the convenience appeals to me).  I'm also not too interested in this stage in interchangeable-lens cameras at this stage. Is there anything else I should consider?  Or should I just pull the trigger

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow