Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767
Like?
24-85VR at f/4.5 (D800 image)
Nov 22, 2012

Recently there have been several threads asking about the relative quality of the new Nikon 24-85VR f/3.5-4.5 zoom versus several other lenses on the D800 or D600. I'm not in a position to assess many of the comparative issues, but I do have around 1500 images with this lens on the D800, so I thought it might be helpful to have full-resolution image available for discussion. Here's an overview of a shot from St. Peter's Basilica, Rome:

This was shot at ISO 1600, f/4.5, 46mm, and 1/100 sec. At this image size, of course, you can't tell much about quality, so here's a 100% crop:

Since DPreview resizes our images now, you may have to click on "Original" to see that crop at true 100%. And finally, if you want to browse the full image, it's online here:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8209372308_6633ce09d2_o.jpg

The image in that link is full-resolution from Lightroom 4, with a slight amount of additional color adjustment and sharpening in Photoshop CS5.1. It is just slightly smaller than the original D800 image, as I did apply the lens profile corrections in LR, which results in a small crop after the distortion is corrected. I did turn off all noise reduction, however, so that you can see all the detail actually captured.

For my purposes, this lens is near-ideal for travel. The only "problem" is that I'm now having a hard time deciding what additional lenses to get for my more serious work. I had assumed I would eventually buy the Nikon 24-70, but now I'm not sure the added IQ will be enough to justify that purchase. I may end up deciding to go with a couple of additional primes, like the 28 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 or 105VR f/2.8.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow