Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,780Gear list
Like?
EM-5 CAF mode works a treat with Sailboard Action
Nov 22, 2012

I owe Mr Olympus an apology having joined the masses in saying that CAF mode on the EM-5 wasn't very well implemented.

Today I spent a couple of hours shooting some frantic sailboard action, starting with SAF + M (my standard setting for this type of work) then, as I was losing focus with some of the faster action (at 4fps) I tried CAF.

What a transformation, I was able to track the action with no problem and found that I was getting less than 10% lost focus shots (mind you, if I hadn't acquired focus lock to start with that became 100%)

What was different from my earlier attempts? well:

- the subjects tended to fill greater than 10% of the frame (typically 15-30%)

- the light was excellent with strong contrast and colour in the sails

- its a subect I know well so I was able to anticipate when the critical action was about to start and was then able to give the CAF time to lock properly before I began shooting a sequence

I've been through over a thousand shots from this morning and the transition in "keeper rate" from SAF+M to CAF is marked and its something I shall certainly be using again.

Shooting conditions, single point AF, CAF, ISO400, f8, Av mode (not Shutter priority) as the light was changing rapidly and it gave me more control of the exposures on the fly) RAW + LFS jpg, hand-held (in a near gale) using the Oly 75-300

Rather than banging up a load of images here I've put a selection on my website here:

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/sailboard-action-from-avon-beach-22-11-2012-16260

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow