D600 sensor dust

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
copejorg1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?
Re: D600 sensor dust
In reply to chlamchowder, Nov 22, 2012

chlamchowder wrote:

I now own a D600 alongside my Sony a580. My camera definitely had the sensor dust problem, but no more dust showed up after I cleaned it at a little past 10k shutter clicks. The camera probably stopped spraying oil onto the sensor long before that, anyways (didn't notice any extra spots after the first few weeks with the camera).

DPreview should consider the problem, but they should also consider that it only hangs around for a few weeks. And in reality, it's such a minor issue that they should pay more attention to other aspects of the camera.

Perhaps they should just make a recommendation for the new owner of a D600 to shoot approximately ten thousand frames without ever taking off the body cap, then blow out the inside of the camera and thoroughly wet-clean the sensor, and then put on a lens and start taking pictures.

In favor of the a99:

• No need for mirror lockup
  • Flexible LCD screen
  • Probably a better live view implementation (well, it needs to be really good because there's no optical preview option)
  • EVF brings traditional live view features into the viewfinder
  • AF tracking during video
  • AF range limiter that works with any lens
  • In-body stabilization works with any lens
  • 102 on-sensor points, but only with a very small number of lenses. And even with those lenses (as far as I know), the on-sensor points can't be manually selected.
  • More magnesium alloy (if that's what you want)
  • FPS boost in crop mode
  • ISO button not on wrong side of camera

Probably a better live view implementation?  You already mentioned the flexible LCD screen; without which, live view loses most of its usefulness, anyway.  You also mentioned AF tracking in video, which of course also works in live view.  And of course, the availability of PDAF in live view that works just exactly the way it does when using the viewfinder.

But, as the owner of an A580, you already knew all that.  No "probably" about it.

In favor of the D600

• Optical finder - more responsive
  • Better battery life
  • $700 cheaper
  • 39 point array offers better coverage than Sony's 19 point array, along with more options for action tracking (and works with all AF lenses).
  • CDAF allows accurate autofocus anywhere in the frame in live view
  • Slightly better noise performance
  • A little smaller and lighter
  • Rather nice JPG engine

If we're going to delve into the relative merits of the AF systems, we should also mention that only nine of the D600's AF points are cross-type, and that they're all clustered at the very center of the pattern -- versus the A99's eleven cross-type points, distributed throughout the (admittedly small for FF) pattern.

Also, the A99 has focus peaking available with manual focusing.  That's much quicker than Nikon's glacial CDAF implementation, anyway, and also allows for accurate focus anywhere in the frame in live view (or in the eye-level VF, and/or while shooting video).

And BTW, the D600 isn't really smaller, and definitely isn't lighter.  Dimensions are 141 X 113 X 82mm for the D600, and 147 X 111 X 78 for the A99.  Weights are 850g for the D600 with battery and memory card, 760g without; and 812g for the A99 with battery and memory card, 733g without.  Small differences, but certainly not in favor of the D600, as you stated.

And while I don't want to grow this post into a fully-comprehensive list of pros & cons of the two cameras (we can all read spec sheets), I'll go ahead and add three more "pros" for the A99 ...

• Much higher eyepoint for the viewfinder -- 27mm for the A99, vs 21mm for the D600.  That's important for a lot of us glasses-wearing types.
  • Additional viewfinder magnification when shooting in APS-C (or "DX") mode.  I mention this because I know you shoot a lot of telephoto, and syspect that you very likely will be either cropping a lot from FF images, or frequently shooting in the D600's DX mode.  With the A99, the VF magnification automatically increases (from 0.71X to 1.08X) when shooting in APS-C mode, so that the captured image fills the viewfinder.  Incidentally, this also takes care of the small AF pattern coverage at the same time.
  • 1/250s sync speed, along with 1/8000s max shutter speed, vs 1/200s and 1/4000s for the D600.

Regards,

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow