What's the main reason for purchasing a four/thirds camera????

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark B UK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the main reason for purchasing a four/thirds camera????
In reply to Adventsam, Nov 22, 2012

I think there's currently no compelling reason to buy a four thirds camera. For micro four thirds the overwhelming reason is compactness and lightness, especially of the lenses. Some might also consider the increased depth of field at any given aperture an additional benefit. The characteristics of an EVF may also be cited, but in my view is not entirely valid since other systems have EVFs or hybrid viewfinders.

On the size and weight issue, I take the view that the camera that's with you always takes better pictures than the one you left at home because the system was just too big and heavy. When digital first became popular, gear with reasonable performance was a burden to carry around. When m4/3 first came out, it wasn't a burden but the quality was compromised. Today I'd say the performance of the best bodies and lenses is well beyond my and most people's requirements and exceeds the performance of premium 35mm gear a decade ago (I'm comparing an E-M5 and 2.8 X Lumixes with the Leica M6 and 35 1.4 Summilux Asph. and a Nikon FM-2n with Nikkor 24 2.0, 50 1.4 and 105 2.8 Micro that I used between about 1994 and 2005).

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow