Adding a bit of 'impact' to B&W conversions (getting rid of the grey!)

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BlueTrain
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Adding a bit of 'impact' to B&W conversions (getting rid of the grey!)
Nov 22, 2012

Hello, I would be very grateful for some advice...

I find I am constantly frustrated by how I am converting my images to black and white. I have read a number of books, many internet articles, and I understand fairly well the techniques/mechanics of the conversion process in RAW or photoshop. But I often find that my images just look a bit... grey!

Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity for hands on experience with a skilled tutor on this, but I am hoping that some suggestions may be available on this forum.

I have uploaded an example from my flickr stream of a photo I took on a recent trip to Paris. This was a long exposure taken shortly before sunset. The conditions were pretty good for this kind of photography at the time, but as you can see my resulting image looks dull and a little lifeless, but I like it as a composition and would like to be able to print this out and have it framed.

Although I use the above example specifically, I am looking for some more general advice on B&W conversion/post-processing as many of my images have similar tones and are lacking in energy that i see in many other similar B&W images by other photographers (and I saw many excellent long exposure images of various Parisienne landmarks along the river for sale in galleries so I know it can be done!). I use CS5 for my image processing, and I also have SilverEfex Pro at my disposal. The image was taken with a 5d mk2 and 17-40mm L lens.

If anyone has any advice or can point me in the direction of useful tutorials/techniques I wouldbe very grateful. I know there are many ways to convert to monochrome, even in just photoshop, and I am keen to try out different methods perhaps I am just not getting the workflow right here?

Many thanks

T.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow