Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PG Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
X-Pro1 & Sensor Dust?
Nov 22, 2012

Looking at the DPReview comment on the D600 dust problem, I thought it time to check my six month old X-Pro1, after approx 5000 images.

My Pentax K5 makes dust location this easy, and there is a menu option that will actually create an image of the sensor showing the position of any dust! (Fuji - are you listening?). So I had to use the conventional approach of bolting on a long lens set to F22 and took a clear sky shot. Then some work in Photoshop to build contrast.

Sure enough, despite the internal cleaning system, the sensor had significant dust. An air blower failed to shift these, so a wet clean was called for using 'Eclipse' liquid & 'Sensor Swabs'. Not a cheap option, but I believe is the only Fuji 'approved' method. This was mostly successful, but left a couple of stubborn spots on the surface of the IR filter. Fortunately towards the frame edge.

Then, thinking on, I'm realizing that dust is generally not a problem with this camera. I examined a wide range of my existing images containing clear sky and really couldn't see any signs of dust.

I put this down to the very shallow depth between the rear element and the sensor.  Any dust stuck to the IR filter is going to be well out of focus, as it is at least 1mm above the sensor plane so the distance ratio between the lens and IR filter, and the IR filter and the Sensor is comparatively small.  and much less than a conventional DSLR where the ratio is at least 2-3x (So the dust in a DSLR is more in 'focus',  being comparatively closer to the sensor focal plane).

Allied to this is  the fact that on APS-C cameras you are best keeping away from F16 and up due to diffraction.

So don't wet cleaning, if your images appear dust free. It's not worth the expense or the risk.

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow