Your photo backup routine??

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
jmiller1948
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Re: Your photo backup routine??
In reply to CalifJewls, Nov 22, 2012

1. I shoot essentially everything in RAW.  Thus any backup copy I have anywhere can have anything done to it that I did before in post-processing or I can do things completely differently if I want.

2. I leave every file on my memory cards until I have finished my post-processing.

3. I keep a vault copy of my current Aperture Library on an external hard drive.

4. I backup every Aperture project to another external hard drive to keep there permanently.

5. Before I remove any project from my current Aperture Library, I backup a copy of it to a DVD that I then store in a different location.

As a result of this I have two permanent copies, one on an external hard drive and one on a DVD.  I use a catalog program, NeoFinder, to catalog all my DVDs so I can search for any photo I want to find.  NeoFinder does a great job creating searchable thumbnails, file names, etc.  I run it on my laptop and then can find what DVD to pull in order to find any previous photo I want.

The only costs I have other than my laptop is two external drives that are relatively inexpensive and the cost of DVDs.  With current recovery capabilities I feel safe that even if my hard drive fails I can still recover the files.  If that fails I have my DVDs.  Short of nuclear war or some change in particle physics, I think I'm covered!

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Jim,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow