Started Nov 22, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Olyroo
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
How can I improve my picture
Nov 22, 2012

OK guys I'm going out on a limb here and I hope you are not going to rip me to shreds. What I'm looking for are some pointers on how to improve my photography so please remember you all had to start somewhere.

The things I am not happy about with this image are firstly the framing. I was struggling to exclude the surroundings and just getting used to the whole fixed focal length thing with primes. I think I can do better next attempt perhaps with a small step ladder. The second thing I'm struggling with is my DOF. I was attempting to focus on the label of the bottle and have it and the wine glass in sharp focus while blurring the glass table they were sitting on. Because I shot from overhead the camera was on an angle and I think this is why the top and bottom of the wine bottle are out of focus compared to the label at center. I assume going to a larger aperture would have fixed this but maybe the table may also have come more into focus. And I guess the other thing I would like to get your opinions on is whether or not my picture is as sharp as you would expect given the settings I used. What I'm looking for here is some idea if my shooting technique requires some work. I tend to push the shutter half way wait for focus then follow through but I'm thinking with the shallower DOF I might be better to follow through in one motion and rely on the fast AF speed of the EM5. The picture was shot hand held in late afternoon light.

I am grateful for any help you have to offer

Olyroo's gear list:Olyroo's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow