Using FV lock to eliminate blinking eyes in Commander mode

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Re: When to use manual and when to use TTL. Both can be used with CLS.
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Nov 22, 2012

Sammy Yousef wrote:

CLS and TTL should not be confused.

TTL is about automatic flash power/flash metering. This uses pre-flashes.

CLS is about communication between flashes to trigger them and optionally for metering. This also uses pre-flashes.

Manual flash mode does work with CLS.You don't need triggers. The problem without triggers is you'll still get some pre-flashes as the flashes communicate. In other words the reason I didn't suggest this is that it probably won't eliminate your problem with blinking. (It may reduce it as there's less to communicate...I've really never tried).

Why would you use CLS and manual off camera flash? Two reasons:

- The first is just to learn about it without spending any extra money.

- The second is for consistency, again without spending money. Assuming your flash is working correctly, and fully charged, each shot you take will have exactly the same flash exposure for all practical purposes.

Now why would you want to buy flash triggers? Apart from eliminating the pre-flash they work well in bright sunlight where CLS does not. Radio is simply a superior way to communicate between flash units compared to visible light. The signal does not affect the subject, it does not experience interference from bright light sources, and it travels through objects that are opaque to light.

I still use TTL a LOT. Why? It's convenient, and it can't be beat when the light or situation is constantly changing. For on camera flash, and for fill flash especially I'm in TTL 95% of the time.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Totally agree!

-- hide signature --

Hotworks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow