New EF-S lenses in 2013? I'd love to see a fast telephoto

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177Gear list
Like?
No advantage in telephoto for EF-S vs. EF
In reply to brian1366, Nov 22, 2012

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see that there will be any advantage/saving in constructing special EF-S telephoto lenses as opposed to the "standard" EF.

My theory: what has always made the wider wideangle lenses large and expensive has been the need to keep the back lens element much further from the film (sensor) plane than the focal length should permit. Therefore complicated and expensive "retrofocus" constructions were required. EF-S lenses can have the back element slightly closer to the sensor because of the smaller mirror. This, however, is not really a great issue with telephoto lenses. Whereas coverage of the larger FF is a major problem with wideangle lenses, it is less critical with tele, where the lens elements are further from the sensor. Probably not worthwhile constructing a separate EF-S line for this.

Yes, I know the EF-S 55-250mm IS and I have it myself (wonderful lens for the price). But many FF teles are not much larger or expensive. So I doubt that there is a case for longer EF-S lenses.

-- hide signature --

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow